Saturday, June 11, 2011

Supernatural Slideshow

This author has made my day.

Supernatural || By Clarissa || Filed June 10th, 2011
supernatural tv newsBefore we get into this, let me clear about something: I will always love Supernatural. There's probably nothing the show could do - short of permanently killing Sam or Dean - that would ever make me not want to watch it.
Does that mean I'm blind to its occasional faults?  Of course not.  I think that the show has so many incredible qualities.  It's funny, it's smart, it's dramatic and the actors who work on it regularly are fantastic and under-appreciated.
All of that being said, there were things about season 6 that could have been improved.  When I look back on the series as a whole, I repeat what I've said many times: season 4 was my favorite.  Not only for the overall season-long arc (which was terrific), but also because it had great stand-alone episodes.  I liked season 6 for so many reasons, but when I look back on the season I think I enjoyed a lot of the individual episodes (like "Frontierland", "The Man Who Would be King", "The French Mistake" and "Caged Heat", for example) as opposed to the season-long arc.
I also didn't mind the cliffhanger at the end concerning Castiel.  I'm actually not that concerned that Castiel will be permanently leaving the show.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that happening, even if he gets less screen time.  So I've decided to come up with a list of things I'd like to see in season 7.  I asked other Supernatural fans as well, including my good friend Monnie (@squeemonster).  Some of them stem from aspects I didn't like in season 6, while others stem from the events in the finale.
I think season 7 is a terrific opportunity for Supernatural to continue to prove it's one of the best shows on television.  I think that some aspects of season 6 can be attributed to the fact that the show had finished a fairly comprehensive five year plan and needed a chance to reboot itself.
As a reminder, here's what The CW has released as a description for next season: "In season seven, the Winchesters will find themselves in an increasingly sinister, changing landscape, up against a new foe unlike anything they’ve ever fought.  They’ll find their old tricks, weapons and hiding places all rendered useless.  All they’ll have is each other.  And the certainty that, like the last of the cowboy outlaws, whatever they face, they’re not going down without a fight."
So here is my list of things I'd like to see in season 7.  Supernatural returns with all new episodes in the fall on The CW.
What do you think?  Do you agree with my choices?  Did I forget anything you'd like to see?
Update: I've been reading through all the comments and it seems like the general consensus is that Dean should get a stronger storyline next season that's directly related to the myth-arc.  You're all right and I agree completely!  As for Sam remembering Hell...what I was trying to suggest is that he doesn't have to be tormented by them constantly, but he needs to at least deal with the after-effects.  Nearly all of season 6 was focused on Sam, the wall and the Hell memories, so to completely sweep them away would be kind of ridiculous.  But yes - like many of you have suggested - I don't think he needs to wallow in them constantly.

Castiel must eventually be redeemed

Picture 1 of 16
Just because I didn’t mind the Castiel cliffhanger, doesn’t mean I want to see him be lost to Sam and Dean forever. Along the same lines that Dean had to battle Sam and his darker tendencies in seasons 4 and 5, I would be okay seeing Castiel go down his own dark path and perhaps become the “big bad” for next season. But at some point Castiel needs to be redeemed. I still hold to my belief that the souls of Purgatory are making him behave in a manner he wouldn’t otherwise (unless I’m proven wrong) and that’s fine, but eventually he needs to be saved. Cas is inherently a good character, and while I can accept that he needs to work through his issues in season 7, I don’t want to see him dead or permanently “evil”. And I want him and the Winchesters to make up again because they're family! :(

No comments: